If you’re in need of a headshot or simply looking to update your professional profile, you may have a lot of questions about what to expect during the process. That’s why I’ve put together this comprehensive headshot FAQ to help you navigate the ins and outs of a headshot session with me.
From what to wear to how long a session typically takes, I’ve got you covered with all the information you need to make the most of your headshot experience. So, if you’re ready to feel confident and approachable in front of the camera, let’s dive in!
- Headshot Session Overview
- How Much Does A Headshot Cost?
- What are the different headshot looks I can get?
- Do I need to wear makeup for my headshot?
- What to wear for female headshots?
- What to wear for male headshots?
- Where is Jason Guy Located?
- How long does a headshot take?
- Will Jason show me how to pose and direct me toward flattering expressions?
- How many different looks can we do at my session?
What Does a Headshot Session With Jason Look Like From Start To Finish?
If you’re wondering what to expect when you book a headshot session with me, here’s a quick rundown:
- Reach out: First, get in touch with me using my contact form here. In your message, let me know a bit about your intended session so I can get an idea of the kind of headshots you want.
- Schedule a Consultation: Schedule a consultation: After receiving your email, I’ll reply within 24 hours to set up an appointment for a quick phone or video call. During this consultation, I’ll ask you a few questions to better understand the details of your headshot session, so I can best help you get images you’ll love.
- Reserve your Headshot Session Date: Once I gather all the details I need from our phone consultation, you can submit a deposit to secure your photoshoot date with me.
- Headshot Photoshoot: On the day of your photoshoot, I’ll guide you through poses and expressions that will capture your best self. Depending on the headshot style(s) you want and how many looks you want to achieve, a headshot session with me usually takes somewhere between 1 to 4 hours. I can give you a better idea of how long it will take after I learn more about what you want at your consultation.
- Choose your Favorite Photos: Shortly after your photoshoot I’ll provide you with a watermarked gallery of all the usable photos from your session, roughly edited with global adjustments only (no photoshop). From this gallery, you can then choose all the images you want me to edit for you. I’ll also give you my recommendations for the photos I like best.
- Delivery of your Finished Images: Once you select your favorite images I will get to work editing your images. Once finished, your final images will be delivered to you in full res (for print) and web resolution Jpegs via Google Drive. You will have full rights to print and use your photo as you wish online.
How Much Does a Headshot Session Cost?
Headshots start at $250 for environmental styles and $650 for studio styles at your location (I come to you). I can provide a makeup artist to enhance your features for an additional $250. There is no additional charge to capture your headshot within 1 hr of Sonoma, CA. Locations further away can be accommodated for an additional fee.
You can use my headshot calculator here to estimate the cost of your headshot session or reach out to me and tell me more about your intended session for a more exact quote.
What Are The Different Headshot Looks I Can Get?
Selecting the perfect headshot style can make all the difference in presenting a powerful and professional image. This is precisely why I offer two distinct options: environmental and studio headshots. Each style offers its own unique advantages, allowing you to pick the one that best matches your preferences and goals.
For those seeking a cost-effective option, environmental headshots are ideal. On the other hand, those who want their headshot to seamlessly blend into the background of their about page or LinkedIn profile would do better to choose a studio style headshot on a white background. The following will show you the key strengths of each option.
Environmental Headshot Sessions
Environmental headshots are a great option for those who want to showcase a more relaxed and approachable side of themselves. By using natural light and the surrounding environment, these headshots capture you in a more casual and authentic setting. The use of a strobe can help to balance the light and create a more flattering image. Environmental headshots are perfect for actors and models who want to show off their personality, as well as for real estate professionals and entrepreneurs who want to project a friendly and approachable vibe to their clients. Whether you’re looking to update your LinkedIn profile or need photos for your personal brand, environmental headshots are a great way to convey a natural and approachable image to your audience.
Studio Headshot Sessions
For those in corporate or formal industries, a studio-style headshot may be the perfect fit. These headshots are taken in a controlled environment with studio lighting and a solid background, giving them a more traditional look.
Additionally, studio headshots are ideal for those who want their headshots to match their website or social media profile backgrounds. By capturing your headshot on the same color background as your website or social profile background, you can make your headshot seamlessly blend into the background and make it appear as if the headshot was custom designed for these pages.
Ring Light Headshot Sessions
If you’re searching for a headshot that’s not only modern and striking but also exclusive, a ring light headshot is the perfect choice. This unique and dramatic effect can only be achieved using my custom-built 4ft by 4ft, 28 bulb ring light during a studio-style headshot session. Not only will you get well-lit headshots, but you’ll also have a completely unique catchlight effect in your eyes. This style is ideal for those who want to make a bold and memorable impression, particularly in creative fields.
Do I Need to Wear Makeup for My Headshot Session
While there’s no hard and fast rule, makeup can make a significant difference in enhancing your features and making you look your best in headshots. Whether you’re a man or a woman, a light application of foundation can help even out skin tones and minimize redness. However, it’s important to avoid heavy makeup or distracting looks. Natural-looking makeup can enhance your features without overwhelming the photo. Ultimately, the decision to wear makeup for your headshot is entirely up to you, but keep in mind that it can significantly enhance your appearance in your photos.
What to Wear For Headshots: Female
When it comes to what to wear for a professional headshot, there are a few key considerations for women. Here are some tips to help you choose the best outfit for your headshot:
- Tops: Solid-colored tops in neutral colors like charcoal, navy blue, or gray are a great choice for headshots. Avoid patterns or large prints, as they can be distracting in photos. Additionally, opt for tops with modest necklines, such as scoop necks, v-necks, or boat necks, and avoid overly revealing necklines like plunging necklines or spaghetti straps.
- Jewelry: Simple, understated jewelry is best for headshots. A small pair of earrings or a simple necklace can add a touch of elegance without overpowering the photo.
- Outfit Options: It’s always a good idea to bring multiple outfit options to your headshot session. This will give you some flexibility to choose the best outfit based on your preferences and the photographer’s recommendations.
Remember, the goal of a headshot is to showcase your best self to potential clients or employers. By following these tips, you’ll be sure to present yourself in the best light possible. For more detailed information on what to wear for your headshot session, be sure to check out my post on what to wear for female headshots.
What To Wear For Headshots: Male
Looking your best in your headshot can make a huge difference in the impression you make on potential clients or employers. To help you get the best headshots possible, here are some men’s headshot attire tips:
- Suits: A suit is always a classic choice for a headshot, and it looks professional and timeless. Opt for a suit in a neutral color such as navy, gray, charcoal, or earth tones, and choose a material like wool, cashmere, or tweed for the best look.
- Jackets and Ties: For most headshots, I recommend wearing a shirt and jacket at a minimum. A tie can add a touch of sophistication to your outfit, while a collared shirt without a tie can give you a polished yet casual look.
- Shirts: Stick to solid colors like white, light blue, or blue if you’re not confident in color coordination. Choose a shirt made from 100% natural materials, and make sure it’s well-fitted with both neck and sleeve measurements.
For more detailed information on what to wear for your headshot session, be sure to check out my post on men’s headshot attire. By following these tips, you’ll be able to present yourself in the best possible light and make a great first impression.
Where Does A Headshot Session With Jason Guy Take Place
I offer on-location headshot sessions, which means that I come to you. Whether you’re based in Sonoma, California, or within an hour’s drive of my location, I can accommodate your headshot needs at no additional charge. This includes serving clients in Sonoma County, Marin County, Napa County, and the following Northern Bay Area cities:
American Canyon, Angwin, Benicia, Boyes Hot Springs, Calistoga, Cotati, Crockett, Dillon Beach, El Verano, Eldridge, Fairfax, Fairfield, Forestville, Glen Ellen, Green Valley, Guerneville, Healdsburg, Hercules, Inverness, Kentfield, Kenwood, Lagunitas, Larkspur, Martinez, Mill Valley, Napa, Novato, Occidental, Penngrove, Petaluma, Pinole, Point Reyes Station, Rohnert Park, Ross, San Anselmo, San Geronimo, San Pablo, San Quentin, San Rafael, Santa Rosa, Sausalito, Sebastopol, Sonoma, St. Helena, Tomales, Vallejo, Windsor, Woodacre.
For locations outside this area, I can still accommodate your headshot needs for an additional travel fee. The fee will be determined based on the specifics of the job, so feel free to reach out to me to discuss your needs.
How Long Should I Expect a Headshot Session With Jason To Take?
The short answer is it depends factors like:
- The headshot style(s) you want (environmental or studio)
- How many looks you want
- Weather or not you want hair and makeup services for your photoshoot
For example, if you’re a guy and you don’t need makeup and you want one headshot captured with an environmental background, I’d recommend you budget at least an hour with me around sunset for best results.
By contrast, if you’re a woman and want one of my hair and makeup artists to enhance your features prior to your photoshoot and you want studio style portraits, I’d allow at least 3 ½ to 4 hrs to get results consistent with what I show in my portfolio.
There are obviously endless scenarios I could outline here. That said, in most cases you’ll need to budget somewhere between 1 to 4hrs (or more) depending on specifics. I’ll be able to give you a better idea of how long it will take once I learn more about your intended session.
Will You Show Me What To Do In Front of the Camera For My Headshot Session?
I believe that comfort in front of the camera is my job. Therefore, If you’re feeling nervous or shy, don’t worry – I’ll guide you through the process and make sure you feel at ease while you’re being photographed. In my view everyone has the potential to look confident and approachable in their headshot, regardless of their experience in front of the camera.
During your headshot session, I’ll offer plenty of direction and coaching to help you strike the right pose and convey the right message with your expression. I’ll work with you to find the best angles and lighting that compliment your features and bring out your best self. Whether you’re a seasoned model or someone who’s never had their photo taken before, my goal is to create the best profile photo you’ve ever seen of yourself. So if you’re feeling a bit camera-shy, don’t worry – I’m here to help you every step of the way!
How Many Different Looks Can We Do?
You’re allowed to change outfits as many times as you like during your photoshoot without any extra charges. The final cost of your session isn’t based on how many outfit changes you make, but rather on how many images you choose to purchase from your photo shoot.
This means that you can mix and match different outfits and backgrounds to create a diverse range of looks. Please feel free to bring all the options you think you might want to be photographed in so we can work together to create headshots that showcase your personality and unique style!